Brenau University is a private, non-profit, comprehensive institution of higher learning residing in Gainesville, Georgia. It is a liberal-arts based university that includes a residential Women’s College. It encompasses coeducational campuses in various areas of Georgia and one in Florida as well as an online campus. Its mission is to challenge students to live great lives of professional and personal accomplishment.
Brenau University is committed to providing students with excellent education to prepare them for lifelong learning, success, and appreciation of artistic expression. It accomplishes its mission through a strong curriculum enhanced by the liberal arts, scientific investigation, and awareness of the world. Brenau strives to become a globally recognized leader in innovative postsecondary education with a unique combination of liberal arts and professional education that offers advanced degrees to meet the needs of today’s world.
The university offers associate, bachelor, master, specialist, and doctoral degrees through its five schools of education: Women’s College, College of Business and Mass Communication, College of Fine Arts and Humanities, College of Health Sciences, and College of Education. It also offers an abundance of online programs through Brenau Online. The university focuses on high quality student and faculty interactions with a ratio of 11 to one.
Brenau University was founded in 1878 as a women’s seminary. It became a women’s college in 1900 and changed its name to Brenau College. In 1928, the college established a female, residential, college-preparatory school for students in grades nine through 12. In the 1960s, the college started offering evening and weekend classes to both women and men. In 1972, the college expanded its mission and began serving more students. The college became Brenau University in 1992 to reflect its comprehensive programs, diverse student body, and graduate programs. The university launched its online courses in 1998 and its first online master’s degree started in fall of 2000. Today, the Women’s College remains the cornerstone of the university and the university as a whole is home to more than 3,500 students.
Brenau University Accreditation Details
The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges accredits Brenau University to grant associate, bachelor, master, specialist, and doctorate degrees. The National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education accredits the College of Education at Brenau University.
Brenau University Application Requirements
- Complete and submit the Brenau Online Application or the Common Application
- Submit official high school transcript
- Submit official transcripts from all previously attended institutions of higher learning
- Submit official standardized examination scores, such as the SAT or ACT
- Pay the nonrefundable $35 application fee
- Complete and submit the required application for the selected college or department offering the specific graduate program
- Submit official transcripts previously attended colleges and universities
- Submit official scores from standardized graduate level tests, like the GRE or GMAT
- Pay the nonrefundable $35 application fee
- Submit any additional requirements stated by specific programs
Tuition and Financial Aid
- Part-time: one to 11 credit hours- $937 per hour
- Full-time: 12 to 18 credit hours-$14,055 flat rate
- Overload: flat rate plus $937 per hour for every hour over 18 hours
- Health science-day and nursing/occupational therapy: one to 11 credit hours-$1,025 per hour, 12 to 18 hours-$15,375 flat rate, overload-flat rate plus $1,025 per hour for every hour over 18 hours
- Day: one to 11 hours $937 per hour, 12 to 18 hours $14,055 flat rate, overload-flat rate plus $937 per hour for every hour over 18 hours
- Nursing: one to 11 hours $1,025 per hour, 12 to 18 hours $15,375 flat rate, overload-flat rate plus $1,025 per hour for every hour over 18
- Health science/occupational therapy: $1,025 per hour
- Associate: $540 per hour
- Bachelor’s: $624 per hour
- Business: $685 per hour
- Occupational therapy: one to 11 hours $1,025 per hour, 12 to 18 hours $15,375 flat rate, overload-flat rate plus $1,025 per hour for every hour over 18
- Education (both campus and online): $685 per hour
- Fine arts, interior design, and post-bachelor science: $685 per hour
- Education: $685 per hour
- Nursing and occupational therapy: $1,025 per hour
- Physical therapy: $12,150 per semester
- Active duty: $250 per hour
- Veterans, spouses and dependents of active duty personnel: 10 percent off program rate
There are a variety of financial aid options at Brenau University, including scholarships, grants, loans, veterans benefits, and work study.
- The Brenau Scholars Program
- Trustee and Faculty Excellence Scholarships
- Legacy Scholarship
- Brenau Achievement Grants
- Brenau Opportunity Grants
- HOPE Scholarship
- Federal Pell Grant
- Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)
- Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education Grant (TEACH)
- Georgia Tuition Equalization Grant (GTEG)
- Federal Direct Subsidized Loan
- Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan
- Federal Direct PLUS Loan
- Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan
- Federal Perkins Loan
- Student Access Loan
Veterans Administration Educational Benefits
All veterans, dependents of veterans, or active duty service individuals who is eligible for VA educational benefits may apply for designated benefits through the VA. Students first need to determine eligibility.
Students who demonstrate financial need are eligible for the federal work-study program. The funding for the program is directly allocated to the university from the government. The amount a student receives depends on financial need, employer, position, and hours worked. In addition to earning money to pay for educational expenses, students are also able to gain valuable experience for future careers.
Related Resource: 50 Most Affordable Small Colleges for a Master’s in Education 2016
Special Education Programs at Breneau University
The College of Education at Brenau University prepares students for careers in the teaching field through its teacher certification programs and advancement opportunities. The college offers an online Master of Education in Special Education. The program is designed to develop and improve expertise and professionalism among current teachers. Graduates of the program will pursue active roles in planning, employing, and assessing effective teaching practices. The program requires the completion of 34 semester hours. The core courses include advanced educational psychology, assessment and strategies for students with Autism Spectrum Disorder, nature and needs of students with Autism Spectrum Disorder, positive behavioral intervention and supports for students with Autism Spectrum Disorder, seminar in special education: supervision and trends, advanced curriculum development and analysis of teaching, reading in the content areas, analysis and correction of reading difficulties, analysis and correction of math disabilities. Students must also pass a comprehensive examination to complete the Master of Education in Special Education at Brenau University.