Regis University Education and Teaching Degree Programs Available
Regis University is also featured in our ranking of the Top 20 Online Nursing Education Master’s Degrees.
The teacher education program at Regis College engages students in collaborative, reflective and challenging learning experiences. The goal is to develop their capabilities as committed and qualified educators. Students are actively involved in field experiences starting with their introductory education courses. The program also includes coursework for the Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Education Endorsement as well as for the generalist Special Education endorsement. All courses are taught using a Jesuit educational process. Courses that may be required include:
- Assessment of Learning
- Assessment of the Diverse Learner
- Elementary Language Arts: Content, Instruction and Assessment
- Elementary Math: Content, Instruction and Assessment
- Elementary Reading and Writing: Content, Instruction and Assessment
- Elementary Science: Content, Instruction and Assessment
- Elementary Social Studies: Content, Instruction and Assessment
- Foundations of Education for Diverse Learners
- General Psychology
- Language, Literacy and Linguistics for Educators
- Linguistics for Teachers of Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Students
- Mastery of Foundational Mathematics
- Multicultural Literature and Literacy Across the Elementary Curriculum
- Physical and Cultural Geography
- Teaching the Exceptional Student in the General Education Classroom
- Theories, Strategies and Assessment for Culturally and Linguistically Diverse K-12
- Tutoring Library
The program is only available on campus. A student teaching practicum is also required.
The Master of Education in Elementary Education is designed for leaders who want to work with children at a leadership level. The degree also qualifies graduates for licensure in the state of Colorado. The program is based on the philosophy that an understanding of theory and practice balances knowledge based on experience. The program is taught using Jesuit ideals, including the desire to serve others. Foundational courses introduce educational theories while content courses deepen the student’s knowledge in an endorsement area. Courses required may include:
- Assessment of Learning
- Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Learners
- Educational Foundations
- Educational Psychology
- Educational Research and Critical Reflection
- Effective Learning Environments
- Equity, Ethics and Social Justice in Education
- Methods: The Nature and Practices of Literacy, Social Studies and Expressive Arts
- Methods: The Nature and Practices of Mathematics
- Methods: The Nature and Practices of Science, Health and Physical Education
- Professionalism in Teaching
- Teaching Reading and Writing
- Universal Design for Learning: A Framework for Teaching and Learning
A student teaching practicum is also required. The program is available on campus and online.
About Regis University
The Las Vegas College was founded in 1877 by a group of Italian Jesuits who had been exiled to Las Vegas, New Mexico. In 1884, the school relocated to Colorado where it became the College of the Sacred Heart. For three years the school operated in Morrison, a small town near Red Rocks until, in 1887, John Brisben, a man who had been educated by Jesuits, donated land in Denver with a clear view of the Rocky Mountains and Flatirons. The school, which was a boy’s preparatory school at the time, moved there and has been in that location ever since.
In 1922, the school was renamed Regis College in honor of St. John Francis Regis, the patron saint of lace-workers. St. Regis was known for providing stable homes for at-risk women and youth, helping them to become independent.
Today, there are 15,000 students attending Regis University. U.S. News & World Report lists Regis University as a Top Tier Western University and 14 Nobel laureates have visited the campus in the past decade.
Regis University Accreditation Details
Regis University is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission. The Commission is one of six accrediting agencies in the United States and confirms that the university meets the needs of current students while preparing graduates who are well-prepared for their field of study. Regis University agrees to periodic evaluation to confirm that the university has the resources to meet its goals and continues to provide quality education. In addition to the Higher Learning Commission, Regis University programs are accredited by the following agencies and organizations:
- Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education
- Accreditation Board for Applied Science, Computing, Engineering and Technology
- American Chemical Society Commission on Professional Training
- Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs
- Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management
- Commission on Accreditation of Physical Therapy Education
- Collegiate Commission on Nursing Education
- Commission on Accreditation for Marriage and Family Therapy Education
- Global Accreditation Center for Project Management Education Programs
Regis University Application Requirements
To apply for the undergraduate degree in elementary education, applicants must provide official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended as well as official high school transcripts. A background check is required and applicants must submit to a teacher candidate interview. Applicants must have at least a 2.5 GA in all college courses attempted.
In order to apply for the Master of Education in Elementary Education, applicants must provide official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended. They must have a minimum GPA of 2.75 and must hold a bachelor’s degree or higher. They must submit to a background check and a teacher candidate interview. A current resume and essay must also be provided.
Regis University Tuition and Financial Aid
Tuition for the undergraduate elementary education degree is $430 per credit hour. Tuition for the Master of Education in Elementary Education is $505 per credit hour.
Financial aid is available and the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is required to qualify for assistance. The average financial aid award is $22,000 at Regis University. Financial aid is available in the form of scholarships, both merit and competitive, grants and loans. Students may also qualify for work-study programs and there are also financing options. Regis University accepts military and employer benefits as well.
Regis University has a mission to educate men and women of all ages and faiths so that they may assume leadership roles after graduation, making a positive impact on today’s changing society. All programs at Regis University are steeped in Catholic and United States traditions, inspired by the Jesuit vision of Ignatius Loyola.